Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Gibson Girl


Have you ever heard about the Gibson Girl? The picture above is by Charles Dana Gibson. He was an American graphic artist that created his pen sketch collection of the Gibson Girl. His designs was an iconic representation of the beautiful and independent American woman at the turn of the 20th century.

Mr. Gibson works were depicted in major publications like Life magazines, Harpers Weekly, and Collier's. From late nineteenth and early twentieth Gibson's fictional images were extremely popular. There was merchandising of "saucers, ashtrays, tablecloths, pillow covers, chair covers, souvenir spoons, screens, fans, umbrella stands", all bearing her image.

Some people argue that the "Gibson Girl" was the first national standard for feminine beauty. All I could say is that I totally love this art! Mr. Gibson made sketches look pretty and delicate.



This is my Gibson Girl tote bag that I had bought several years ago from the Victorian Trading Company. It is still one of my favorites!




And by the way Victorian Trading Company carries several designs of the Gibson Girl. Just the other day I told my hubby that we were down to just two drinking glasses. And when I went to check out the latest thing in this store I was excited to see these pretty Gibson Girl glasses!


Perfect for a party with girlfriends!



Chao,


Carmen






Research: Wikipedia. Photo: Creative Commons. Copyright Has Expired.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those glasses are so beautiful!

Carmen Johnson said...

Hi Sonia,

Aren't they? These are now in my wish list!


Have a fun day!


Carmen

Search This Blog