Sunday, December 13, 2009

Fantasy Retro Dream Home

For all of you retro lovers out there, this is what my retro dream home would look like! A silver retro trailer attached to a vintage woody wagon! Simple outdoor living, with an hint of sophistication! I am totally loving it!

Even though I love being in my little quite home, and I love my neighborhood, deep down inside I am a very adventurous gal. You see I came from a family that wasn't afraid to get up and move to another town, city, or country. The longest that I lived in one place is three years. We never really didn't have time to settled down like many families do. My dad will come one afternoon from work and would say, "It's time to move." My mom and us four kids knew the drill. And within that day we were packed, in the car, and ready to go.

So when I asked a friend how long they have been living in their house, and they say, "I have lived here all my life," I find it really strange and amusing. I can't fathom being in one place for all my life. I think that most of my life learning came from my experiences of living in different places. That is way I love traveling!

I always wanted to have my own retro trailer and travel throughout the states. And I am not just saying for vacation, but that is how I would love to live. I know that it sounds pretty crazy for many people, but I think that being stuck and one area is quite boring.

For several months my hubby and I was thinking of making a big move. The job market was bad where we live. So we put our home in the market. And hoping that we can sell it, and move to a new location! I was all for it. I was ready to start a new chapter in our lives. And the best part of it my hubby was also!

You see my hubby also grew up moving from one place to another. Just listening to his stories about how he grew up, was like if we both grew up together. Finding that we were in this together gave me a chance to share my plans. Yes, I started with, "Oh, my goodness I would like for us to get a silver trailer and travel through out the states! You can get the job that you want. We can can stay at different locations. If we get bored we just pick up and go. Wouldn't that be great"?

My hubby then said, "huh. living in a trailer?" Yes, I did say trailer. Hubby was a bit surprised. You see several years ago before we bought this house, hubby suggested for us to buy a mobile home. I was not 100% convinced about living in a mobile home. Living here in Florida with hurricanes and tornadoes, and imagining that we were not in Kansas anymore, made me think twice in moving to a mobile home.

My idea about us traveling all over the States in our cute little retro home on wheels, made my hubby a little apprehensive. He was definitely ready to move to another state, though not in a home on wheels. He then explained the reasons: "It is more expensive than renting a place and we will be cramped in this very, very small place."

And that is when I knew that my hubby is not as adventurous as I thought he was.

So at the end I couldn't convince hubby. In the meanwhile I kept on dreaming about how our lives will be if we traveling in our retro home. Then that is when I saw this movie: The Long, Long Trailer (1954; MGM).

This is the very first technicolor movie that Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz appeared on. This movie is about honeymooners who buy a trailer home and soon encounter the problems of living in a house on wheels.

When I first saw the beginning of the movie, I was totally excited! Here it was the very thing that I am dreaming of doing. The wife dreamed of having a little place to call her home. And she got her dream, when she was able to convince her husband in getting the trailer. And after they were off in starting their new life living in a trailer, that was when things started to really look ugly for them and for the trailer.

There was one scene where they went to a heavily wooded area just like the picture above. Though imagine the scene with a torrential rain. The trailer ended side ways and stuck in the mud. That scene was so funny for the first few minutes, until I thought that that could easily be me and my hubby under those same circumstances. My hands literally started to sweat.

Even though my retro dream home fantasy came to a screeching stop. It didn't dampen the possibility that hubby and I could one day own our silvery vintage trailer... of course only for vacation purposes!


Chao,


Carmen






P.S. I am totally enjoying my Sunday with the live broadcast from the Cidada Club! Enjoy your week!


Photo: Flickr Creative Commons.

No comments:

Search This Blog